[CLOSED] 2021 CALL FOR VINFUTURE PRIZE NOMINATIONS
The VinFuture Foundation has closed the call for nominations for the 2021 VinFuture Grand Prize and three Special Prizes.
The VinFuture Prize is set up to honor breakthrough scientific research and technological innovations that create meaningful change in the everyday lives of millions of people. The Prize aims to recognize exceptional inventors and researchers from prestigious global academic universities, research labs, as well as grassroots inventors who might not be working in a formal research environment.
The VinFuture Prize comprises of:
- A Grand Prize of US$ 3 million, awarded annually for breakthrough research and technological innovations that positively improve the quality of human life, and create a more equitable and sustainable world for future generations. The Grand Prize would be open to all, regardless of the candidate's nationality, age, gender, social status, or economic background.
- And three additional Special Prizes of US$ 500,000 each with a focus on promoting diversity, equity, and new fields of study will also be awarded annually to:
- Innovator(s) from Developing Country(ies);
- Female Innovator(s); and
- Innovator(s) with Outstanding Achievements in Emerging Fields.
ELIGIBLE FIELDS FOR NOMINATIONS
The VinFuture Prizes will recognise breakthroughs across all fields of science, technology and engineering that have already delivered impact or show the potential to deliver impact for real-world problems that align with at least one of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- There should be clear evidence, or potential, for an end-product or service based on the solution, which has an everyday practical application;
- Solutions should have already benefited millions of people in the past 10 years for the Grand Prize, or have the potential to benefit millions of people in the next 10 years for the Special Prizes;
- Solutions should be aligned with one or more of the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals;
- Solutions must be scientifically proven (i.e., there should be clear evidence of passing relevant scientific trials, and in the case of research, it must be empirically proven or widely reviewed);
- Open to researchers or inventors who were involved in developing the underlying solutions, and not entrepreneurs or corporates who helped in commercialization/ diffusion of the technology;
- End-products of the research should benefit people globally, including those from developing and less developed countries, as well as lower-income and disadvantaged communities;
- Open to individuals or teams of researchers/inventors;
- Preference for nominees in the active stages of their careers;
- Same individual/team can be nominated for one or more of the VinFuture Special Prizes if eligible.
- Research/Solution/Invention can be underpinned in any discipline of science, engineering, or technology, including potentially multi-disciplinary approaches.
ADDITONAL CRITERIA FOR SPECIAL PRIZES
VinFuture Special Prize for Innovators from Developing Country(ies)
VinFuture Special Prize for Female Innovators
Awarded only to female researchers or innovators, with no restriction on nationality, age, social status, or economic background of the nominees.
VinFuture Special Prize for Nominators with Outstanding Achievements in Emerging Fields
Solutions must be underpinned in an emerging field that is selected by the Prize Council annually. For the year 2020-21, the emerging field(s) will be decided by the Prize Council as they review the shortlisted nominations.
- No self-nominations are accepted.
- Both organizational/institutional nominators and individual nominators can submit their nominations for the VinFuture Prizes via the Online Nomination Form.
- VinFuture Prize welcomes nominations from recognized organizations such as universities, research institutes/centers, academies of science and technology, scientific associations/networks, corporations and industries, innovation incubators and from prominent individuals in the related areas.
- For 2021, VinFuture Prize accepts nominations from both invited nominators as well as nominators who do not receive the invitation letters from VinFuture Prize provided that they meet the criteria approved by the VinFuture Foundation.
- If you are interested in nominating someone, please send your CV to: email@example.com
- Nominations can be submitted online by eligible nominators via this link: https://online.vinfutureprize.org/nomination
- Nominations must be completed in English.
- A nominator is expected to write a letter of support to the nominee(s) and complete the online nomination form.
- In the nomination form, nominators will be asked to provide inputs on how the nominated research/solution/invention fulfils the nomination criteria, as part of their rationale for submitting the nomination.
- A nominator can only nominate one nominee/one group of nominees for each of the four prize categories.