The VinFuture Foundation has officially announced the agenda for academic events during the inaugural Sci-Tech Week on January 18-21, 2022, in Hanoi, Vietnam. These are international events that will see the arrival of leading scientists to Vietnam in order to work together for the mission of science to practically and effectively serve humanity.
The event series begins with the Conversation with the Prize Council and Pre-screening Committee, taking place on January 18th, 2022. At the event, they will share their passion and discuss the achievements and sacrifices made throughout their scientific journey. The event aims to inspire the love for research and open up possibilities for Vietnamese scientists to approach international projects around the world.
Participants include distinguished scientists who have made great contributions to global science who are part of the VinFuture Prize Council and Pre-Screening Committee:
- Professor Sir Richard Henry Friend – Chair of the Prize Council – University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, 2010 Laureate of the Millennium Prize in Physics for his work on plastic electronics. He is one of the world’s most influential physicists and was knighted for “Services to Physics” in the 2003 Queen’s Birthday Honour List.
- Professor Gérard Albert Mourou, École Polytechnique Palaiseau, France, 2018 Nobel Laureate in Physics for his work on generating ultrashort high-intensity laser pulses without destroying the amplifying material. He is one of the leading scientists in electrical engineering and lasers in the world.
- Dr. Padmanabhan Anandan, Founder of AI Matters Advisors LLC and Chairman of the Governing Board at Telangana AI Mission (T-AIM); Founder and Managing Director of Microsoft Research India and the Vice President of Adobe Research with research in computer vision, visual motion analysis, video surveillance, and 3D scene modeling from images and video.
- Professor Dang Van Chi, Director of Science, Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, United States; Renowned doctor, researcher, oncogene and hematology-oncology expert; Recipient of the MERIT Prize from the National Academy of Medicine. Member of the National Academy of Medicine and a fellow of the American Association for Cancer Research Academy.
- Professor Vu Ha Van, Professor of Mathematics at Yale University, United States; Prof. Vu received the Polya Prize from the Society of Applied and Industrial Mathematics and the Fulkerson Prize from the American Mathematical Society. As scientific director of VinBigData, he has led several research projects leading to high-tech products in Vietnam, such as his mathematics genealogy project that decoded the genes of 1000 non-related Kinh individuals or Vivi virtual assistant. Concurrently, he is the scientific director of VinIF which has created positive impacts on promoting scientific research and high quality human training at Vietnamese universities.
- Professor Nguyen Thuc Quyen, Director of the Center for Polymers and Organic Solids (CPOS) at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB); Among the Top 1% Highly Cited Researchers in Materials Science by Clarivate Analytics and Thomson Reuters from 2015 – 2018 and recipient of the Alexander von Humboldt Research Award for Senior Scientists.
- Professor Albert P. Pisano, Dean of the Jacobs School of Engineering at the University of California San Diego (United States); Co-inventor of over 20 patents and co-author of over 300 archival publications in MEMS. Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and the National Academy of Engineering. In 2008, he was named one of the 100 Notable People in the Medical Device Industry by Medical Devices and Diagnostic Industry (MD&DI) Magazine.
- Dr. Bui Hai Hung, Founding Director of VinAI Research; Specialist in machine learning and artificial intelligence with over 10 patents and approximately 100 publications in well-respected IT & AI journals.